Do you like to sew and make things and are looking for ideas and instructions? You will find them here. In my spare time I like to sew and make crafts. Sometimes, I teach adult and children how to sew and make things as well. I'm not a professional seamstress or artist so my projects tend to be on the easy side, hence, the name of my sewing & craft blog is 'Sew Easy So Crafty'.

Monday 29 June 2015

How to Make Horizontal Strip Patch Bags


The other day my husband was going overseas to visit his parents and as usual I bought many gifts to give to his relatives. I had never liked using wrapping paper because I think that they're a waste of resource: you tear it off and throw it in the bin. Usually I would recycle any that was gift wrapped to me but I don't usually use it for others.

So this time, I made bags to put the presents in. After the person opened the presents they have a bag to use to carry whatever they wish to. No waste! And do you know what's also great with these bags? They use fabric scraps that I had from my other projects. It's a win-win-win. 

I love sewing bags. They are one of the quickest things to sew. 

What you need:
scrap pieces of fabric, large enough to cut into strips

What to do:
1. Choose your fabrics. You can colour coordinate them if you wish. Make sure that they are large enough.
2. Cut the fabrics into strips.
3. Lay each strip flat and next to each other, running along the same way.
4. Once you're happy with the combination and size of the rectangle, sew the long edges together to attach them. They should form a large rectangle.
5. Fold the rectangle fabric in half, and depending on which direction you want your bag to be (horiznotal or vertical, sew two of the edges together.
6. Hem the open edge.
7. Take 2 strips of fabric and sew them into handles for the bag.
8. Attach the handles to the open edge of the bag.
Optional:
- I actually lined these bags with calico.
- On three of the bags, I cut out felt daisies and handsewn them onto the cream strip. then I sewed on a button in the middle of the daisies.

No comments:

Post a Comment