Do you like to sew and make things and are looking for ideas and instructions? You will find them here. In my spare time I like to sew and make crafts. Sometimes, I teach adult and children how to sew and make things as well. I'm not a professional seamstress or artist so my projects tend to be on the easy side, hence, the name of my sewing & craft blog is 'Sew Easy So Crafty'.

Sunday 21 February 2016

Sew a Sports Bag in 30 Minutes or Less



My son has been asking me for a new sports bag since he ruined his old one.

Sports bag are a bit expensive, especially the brand name ones. The last one I bought for him costed $30. Now, I don't mind paying for something that's worth it but really, I could make one easily. $30 for something that I can make in less than 30 minutes is not worth it.

So here's how I made it.

Old ruined sports bag
What you need:

1.2m vinyl fabric
3.5m cord

1. Lay the old sports bag over the vinyl fabric that has been folded in half. I used this as the pattern for cutting. Basically, cut a 60cm by 40cm rectangle on the fold (total size of rectangle is 120cmx40cm.



2. Also cut 2  small rectangles. These will form the loops at the botton sides of the bag to loop the cord through.


3. Hem the 2 short sides of the rectangle to form the casing for the cords to go through. Roughly 2.5cm should be folded and tucked under and sewn.

4. Fold the rectangle in half with right sides facing. Sew the edges of the 2 small rectangles in. Fold each strip in half to form loops. Pin and tack each loop to the inside of the bottom of the bag on each side about 3cm above from the bottom. Sew the sides of the bag together, over the loop edges as well, leaving the opening of the casings unsewn (so the cords can go through).

5. Sew the bottom corners of the bag to make boxed corners (see here for intructions) below the loops.

This is what the inside of the bag looks like
6. Turn the bag right side out. Cut the cord into 2 equal lengths. Thread one length through the casing then through the loop at the bottom. Tie it.

7. Do the same with the other side.


8. Pull the strings.


9. If you want to neaten the cord edges then you can burn them. Only do this to non natural fibre cords.
Before burning
Just light the edge. The flame will automatically die off.
After burning

2 comments: